Canker Sores, also called as Aphthous Ulcers or Aphthous Stomatitis, are tiny lesions or ulcers that develop on the soft tissues in the mouth or at the bottom of the gums in the mouth.
Canker Sores can also be found on the tongue, internal lining of the cheeks and inside the lips. They aren’t contagious, mostly they are painful, and can make talking & eating difficult.
Canker Sores can be categorized into 2 types-
- Simple Canker Sores – It is a most common type and it re-emerges almost 3 to 4 times in a year.
- Complex Canker Sores – It is less frequent but develops in people who have previously had it.
Most Canker Sores usually heal on their own in a week or two but pain exists there for almost 7 to 10 days.
The exact cause is still unclear. The most common causes include:
- Viral infection
- Emotional stress
- Hormonal fluctuations
- Food allergies
- Certain foods particularly spicy or acidic foods or citrus vegetables
- Vitamin or mineral deficiencies
- Immune system problems
- Mouth injury due to dental work or accidental cheek bite
- Toothpastes and mouth rinses containing sodium lauryl sulfate
- Bacterial infections
Symptoms may include:
- An itchy or burning sensation in the mouth
- A grey or yellow crater appears in the mouth with a red border neighbouring it
- Swollen Lymph Nodes
- Extreme difficulty while eating or drinking
Usually there is no cure for Canker Sores. To reduce their frequency, try these:
- Avoid foods that irritate your mouth, which may include nuts, chips, salty foods or citrus fruits, acidic vegetables, and spicy foods.
- Avoid foods that cause allergy symptoms.
- Avoid irritation from gum chewing.
- Brushing with a soft-bristled brush after meals & flossing daily, will keep mouth clean.
- Try to eat plenty of fruits, vegetables & whole grains, to prevent nutritional deficiencies.
- Learn & use stress-reduction techniques, like meditation & deep breathing to avoid Canker Sores which occur due to stress.
Wishing you the good health! #healthlanternsblogs
Note – This information has been taken from different internet sources.